Personal blog about dealing with a father with dementia in a care home.

Sunday, February 03, 2008

3rd February 2008 - Judge not

There was a new carer today. He looks to be late teens. He has lots of tatoos. He has his nose, eyebrow and lip pierced. His ear lobes are distended by big washer earrings. His mouth gapes when he breathes.

Christine - one of, if not the most trying resident - was underdressing herself at a table.

He went over to her, and very calmly spoke to her, got her to stand, gently helped her back into her clothes, tucked her in, straightened her skirt, smoothed her hair and helped her to calm herself. I watched in awe of how well he dealt with her. I've never seen any of the carers in the home deal as well with Christine. He must have sensed me watching because he looked up and saw me, then mouthed over asking if I was ok. It was only then I realised I had tears running down my face.

It's so easy to judge people, to pidgeon hole them, and dismiss them. I didn't realise I was so guilty of it. I'm going to try harder - like Boxer in Animal Farm - I will work harder - to produce a better version of me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home