Personal blog about dealing with a father with dementia in a care home.

Thursday, February 08, 2007

8th February 2007 - Who's who

Today really surprised me. Not only did Mary the incredibly tall old lady steal Dad's Jamaica ginger cake and toilet brush Cecily his tea but my Dad forgot one of his two claims to fame. The second is having come second on 15-1. The first is being related to a historical figure, his namesake so I'll not drop that name, who there's always been a vague sense of pride in the family for being directly related to. But today, when I told him that I remembered my cousin's son's name easily as it was amalgamation of this relative's name with that of his equally reknowned friend, my Dad said - who are they? I told him and he said he'd look out for them but did they often visit, which isn't surprising considering they've been dead for 250 years. If he's forgotten that, even if it's only a momentary thing, that's a quantum step in his brain loss.

That - to use Dadisms - really took the wind out my sails, put my light in a peep and there's another own about breath and porridge that I can't quite recall.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home