Personal blog about dealing with a father with dementia in a care home.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

20th February 2007 - NHS24

"Don't even bother if you're dead". That's what Francine told me told today. She was talking - over Dad - to me about NHS24 and their lack of response when her son had gastro enteritis. My Dad was talking to me at the same time but he's now considered so far on that no-one bothers with what he says, when he's talking or not. No-one listens, they shush him, seat him, and if it's the right time give him tea, if it's not they dangle the carrot of promised tea, promised land, tea and a biscuit. So we were seated at a table and Dad was looking at me talking, Francince was standinga couple of feet behind, both of them speaking to me at the same time. Dad looking puzzled when I looked over his shoulder and talked.

She said "When we've had a resident death" whispering the word death obviously "if it's in the evening or night we just leave them there. There's no point phoning NHS24 they'll no come oot unless you keep on phoning and stay on the phone for ages. That music does yer heid in. We jist wait til the morn and git their ain GP's in to pronounce them deid."

Why does she think it's ok to tell me that. Does she think I'll be sympathetic to the plight of the staff? Does she not think I might be a bit more concerned that they leave a dead - or potentially just dying resident - lying there until the GP's surgery opens - and if it's a weekend? My mind goes back to a recent death and an A4 notice sellotaped over the residents name on their door "Keep Out, No Entry" like a 6 year olds bedroom fortress. That notice had been up for a weekend. Surely not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home