Personal blog about dealing with a father with dementia in a care home.

Monday, February 18, 2008

17th February 2008 - Buenos días Peter Rabbit

"Buenos días Peter Rabbit" Dad said to me when I woke him. "Pardon?" I said, not unreasonably I think in the circumstances. "Buenos días Peter Rabbit" he repeated, looking at me for an appropriate response. The only one that I could think of that might be anywhere near satisfactory was a simple "Buenos días". I considered adding "Squirrel Nutkin", "Jemima Puddleduck" or something similar but I really didn't want to add to the confusion.

He looked at me. Looked round me. Looked through me. Looked above me. "Buenos fucking días? Buenos fucking días? You gone all dago on me now?" and fell asleep.

I have never, ever, in all the 43 and a bit years (holy shit I'm old!) that I've known him heard him say the 'f' word. In other circumstances I would have found it positively refreshing, but not now. He was angry with me, I didn't know what to say and I felt stupid for letting it upset me. I made him some tea and woke him. "Hello Mary love" he said. My Mum - and in English - how normal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home