Personal blog about dealing with a father with dementia in a care home.

Saturday, July 21, 2007

21st July 2007 - Happy Holidays

We are going on holiday tomorrow. Only for a week, but I feel like crap. Dad was trying to understand how long I would be away. He said "So, today is Wednesday" and I interrupted with "No, it's Saturday today Dad. Sunday tomorrow". "Right, I knew that, so you are going away from red through to blue are you or are you back by yellow ? I know I hardly see you but it would be nice to know when the next time will be. There's very little to look forward to in prism, even your visits make a righter day". I told him we were away for a week, that I would see him as soon as I came back and that my brother Colin would try and come and see him while I was away. "You have a lovely time, don't worry about me, I'll be fine. Colin will be here, he'll not go away. I don't see much of you anyway, which is fine. You go off and leave me here. So you'll be back when it's blue?" and I was glad he said the 'blue' bit because I was back in angry child mode, I was fighting fit for a teenage angst argument that was never voiced when I was a teenager, I was ready, I was poised...and then I was deflated, he was mad, he was sad, he needed me and I was going away for a week. He needed me and I was ridiculous, I was struggling to get past the past, to deal with the reality of Dad as a vulnerable old man. Silly cow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home