Personal blog about dealing with a father with dementia in a care home.

Thursday, March 08, 2007

8th March 2007 - That's one way of keeping the loo clean

Only managed to visit for a short while today. More truthfully could only be arsed staying a short while. I could not think of anything to say. Nothing. Not a single thing. I'd started well with a run through of the previous night's football - Man Utd had won against Lille, and Celtic had lost but I couldn't remember the name of their oponents. I knew it was one of the big teams an AC Milan or Madrid or Bayern Munich or something, and I knew it had gone to extra time and that Celtic were out of the UEFA Cup but couldn't remember the team. That was what Dad latched on to - "It's not much use if you can't remember the team is it?" he cranked. "No I suppose not but I can remember my own name" was my less than charitable mental retort while my mouth said "I'll go and see if I can find a paper and get the results". When I leave the day room I see Mary in quite considerable distress - and a shitty pair of trousers - she's very upset and banging on a door in the corridor. When I got a staff member to help her it turns out she was banging on the toilet door, not because someone was in, but because the door was locked. Saves on the cleaning when they are short staffed. Unfortunately for Mary this particular loo was the one she always went to, the only one she'd use, the only one in her mind.

Twenty minutes afterwards I heard one of the staff berating the one I'd fetched to help Mary. Although she'd helped her change, she'd left her trousers, pants and pad lying in the bathroom and he was brandishing them at her as he shouted in his eastern European accent. Mary watched her soiled trousers and pants being flourished like MacMillan's piece of white paper. Held aloft in accusatory truimph. He'd scored points over the other staff member.

I hadn't managed to find the newspaper so I couldn't confirm the teams playing for Dad, but by the time I'd come back to him after 2 minutes away he said he remembered watching it now and Colin Montgomerie had blown it at the last hole. Well, it might not be accurate but at least it's probable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home