Personal blog about dealing with a father with dementia in a care home.

Thursday, August 09, 2007

9th August 2007 - "It's PCness gone mad"

Tweedle was complaining today. She was complaining that "pc'ness had gone mad" because they had changed the Happy Meal to have healthier options. "Ma bairns dinnae want any of that PC crap. Why mess with a happy meal fur chrissake - excuse ma french - but can they no leave a buckin' bairns meal alane?". I rolled my eyes and shook my head to display I agreed in the madness of providing a fruit option instead of chips. It reminded me of an ex-sister-in-law who once complained loudly and long about how the new PC world meant that there were no wolf-whistles any more. Used to be every time she walked down the road she'd hear a whistle or two, these days men were too frightened of being accused of assault or sexism or something to whistle. I marvelled at the confidence of this woman. How come the idea that it was her ageing looks that didn't elicit the much sought after affirmation of her attractiveness not enter her head? Why - in her heyday - did the confirmation from total strangers that they found her attractive mean so much? This wasn't sour grapes on my part, I was once the recipient of wolf whistles myself. I was never very sure what I was supposed to feel or do when I heard one. Did you ignore it? Did you look round and try and see who it was whistling? I supposed I was always slightly afraid I'd look round and see some stunning blonde who was really the recipient, someone would notice that I thought it was for me and then I'd be cat called instead. Wolf whistles, cat calls.

Anyway, I had time to think all this pish because Dad wouldn't wake at all really today. It was very warm in the home today, which doesn't help the drowsiness but I think he was tired, fed up and bored. Can't blame him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home