Personal blog about dealing with a father with dementia in a care home.

Thursday, September 06, 2007

21st August 2007 - Tweedle fucking dim

Well, I did try to visit Dad today. Me and Ellie got there, got inside the door, even got to see Dad dodder towards us but Ellie's scary woman - Margaret - pounced at the door. We were trapped - Ellie and I - in the corner. She just wouldn't go, she was pawing at Ellie, stroking her face, stroking my hair, trying to kiss her and actually kissing me. We couldn't get around her, couldn't get away from her. Nothing I could say to Margaret was making her back off. Nothing I could say to Ellie was calming her. I shielded Ellie as best I could but she was petrified, shaking, rigidly trembling. She started to scream through her fear "Get her away from me Mummy, keep me safe!" We'd been trapped, dodging kissess and cuddles, floating like a butterfly as I bobbed, ducked and weaved out of Margaret's southpaw reach, for almost five minutes. I could see Tweedle at the office door not more than 8 feet away - she'd been watching us all along. She was smiling over at me "She still feart of Margaret then? She no grown oot of tha' yet?" Ellie was in full blown tantrumic flight and I had to shout over to Dad that I was going to go. He was completely confused as to what was going on, but I had to leave. As I turned to enter the code into the keypad, Margaret got a grip of me and Ellie, not painfully, but very firmly, she was holding on to us and we were going nowhere. We couldn't move. I could see Bruce, Alice, and Callum coming towards us, sensing the open door, sensing the possibility of escape. Their faces turned towards us, their arms slightly raised and outstretched. Zombie film. Ellie was frantic and I had to be mean to Margaret, I had to push her out the way, had to man handle her put of the way to let us free. I pushed an old demented woman, whose only crime against me was to try and touch my daughter. I'm so sorry Margaret. So sorry. And Dad, God knows what you made of that through your befuddlement. Tweedle, you are a fat, lazy cunt. How dare you just stand and watch. All it would have taken was for you to come and lead Margaret away - she'll go anywhere on a promise of a pink wafer - but no. You were on your break, and "God knows I deserve it, the amount of shite I put up wi' in this place. There's no buyin' a bed in heaven but if I've no got wan when I gits up there, I'll no be happy, I kin tell ye tha' fur nuhin'". Fuck you. Fuck you and all who sail in you. You don't deserve a medal, a sainthood, a blessed or a candle lit for you. I know you can't help being stupid, but Jesus Christ can't you be a bit more human? More humane?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home