Personal blog about dealing with a father with dementia in a care home.

Sunday, May 11, 2008

11st May 2008 - Can't see the 'arm in it

Today, Dad couldn't see me. Or at least, he couldn't see all of me. He could hear me, but all he seemed to be able to see of me was my right arm. He was very agitated because he could hear me speaking but not see me, just an arm. I tried to make him see me, I faced him, I moved back and forth but he just watched my arm apparently float around to the sound of my voice. He got more and more agitated and I had to leave.

As I left the day room I looked round at all the other residents - I was the only visitor in at that time - and each was in their seperate bubble of madness.

What can have been going on in his head? How frightening must that have been?

I met Karen and asked her to talk to him for a bit and say that he was agitated, but when I led her through to where he was sitting, he was asleep and peaceful.

Later when I phoned to check how he'd been, he had had a good day, eaten all his evening meal and played with the balloons in the early evening. The brain is an incredible thing. Incredible awesome and terrifying. I think I may pickle a bit more of mine right now. Cheers Dad.

1 Comments:

Blogger Maz said...

Aw Maxi ((((Hugs))) sent your way!

maz x

9:02 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home