Personal blog about dealing with a father with dementia in a care home.

Saturday, September 06, 2008

August 2008

There's nothing to say. I've run out of energy. I can't muster a cheery hello when I go in to see him any more. Sometimes I even forget to talk to him, just sit beside him and talk to the staff. How must that feel for him - completely ignored even by his visitor. If he knows I'm his visitor. He does recognise me as being someone he should know, but who he thinks I am is anyone's guess.

My admiration for the staff just gets more and more. I know I complain about some of them and their apparent lack of respect for the residents, but I know it's a job I could never do, I know that for every resident there is a type of caring ( and carer ) that is just right, and that they are ( mostly ) deeply decent people. There are very few other jobs where the staff would attend events, give up their spare time, volunteer for extra duties and all for minimum wage.

3 Comments:

Blogger Robert said...

Are you feeling a wee bit down? Not surprising really, since your dad is obviously deteriorating, we have the credit crunch and we've just had the wettest summer since Noah built his ark... This is not your usual cheery post. I hope that you'll soon be back with one of your witty observations about your Dad's home. Isn't all humour born out of misery (to some extent, at least)?

Thinking about you. Best wishes.

4:52 AM

 
Blogger ChickPea said...

You are there.

I'm sure he knows that, even if he doesn't - maybe cannot - show it.

You are there, when you can be.

And that is the kindest - the VERY kindest - of things for someone at this point. Just being, is loving. And caring. And all the other things you so desperately want to be and do for him. You ARE. Take comfort. Sleep sound.

11:42 PM

 
Blogger Maximum said...

Thanks Robert and thanks Chickpea.

I have been down for a long time. I knew he was going. Obviously dementia has a terminal conclusion but the end had been becoming more obvious since the summer.

He's at peace now. Thanks so much for reading.

People are wonderful - the kindness of strangers is wonderful.

Lots of love

Maximum - Jeanne x

9:49 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home