Personal blog about dealing with a father with dementia in a care home.

Sunday, October 08, 2006

9th November 2005 - I'm a geriatric - get me out of here!

Today Dad let me in on a wee secret. As he said “Since you are almost family”. Apparently, the home turns into a reality TV quiz show every night. He’s doing rather well too. There’s a selection every night and one of the residents is put in a room and disappears into smoke. He thinks he’s well in with the show’s host though – who is the late Leslie Crowther – and he’s amassed rather a stash of prizes and quite a bit of cash. Obviously, the prizes are invisible by day – he tells me – because the others would get jealous. He thinks that it’s on Channel 4 from 10 so I should tune in.

Strangely enough I do check what’s on at 10 on C4, I didn’t expect it to be some sort of OAP BB crossed with the Price is Right but I had a hope that there would be something I could make sense of, could piece together with other scraps to try and build a picture of what he might be seeing. Of course there wasn’t, isn’t, won’t be and I can’t. He’s just demented.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home